Importance of Wearing a Helmet
Whether you ride a motorcycle as your main form of transportation or just for fun, it is crucial that you do not underestimate the importance of wearing a helmet. Countless studies have shown that wearing a helmet is highly effective in reducing the risk of injury, permanent disability, brain damage, and death, and has saved the lives of more than one thousand motorcyclists throughout the U.S. In fact, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) estimates that helmets saved the lives of 1,829 motorcyclists in 2008, and that if all motorcyclists had worn helmets, another 823 lives could have been saved. The NHTSA has also found helmets to be 37% percent effective in reducing the risk of fatal injuries to motorcycle riders and 41% effective in reducing the risk of fatal injuries to motorcycle passengers.
When buying a helmet, here are some tips to keep in mind:
- Your helmet should meet the safety standards set forth by the Department of Transportation or Snell
- Make sure the helmet fits you properly. It should fit snug around the top and sides of your head and around your ears and the sides of your jaw. Once the helmet is on your head, move your head side to side. Your head should not slide around, instead your skin should move with the helmet
- Make sure there aren’t any gaps between the face shield and the molding
- Put the helmet on to make sure you have plenty of peripheral vision and that your view is not obstructed
- If you don’t like wearing sunglasses, consider purchasing a helmet with a tinted shield
- Replace your helmet every five years
- Never borrow anyone else’s helmet. It may not fit you correctly, which will reduce its effectiveness in an accident.
All motorcycle riders and passengers are required to wear a helmet in the state of North Carolina. If you need help choosing a helmet, a sales person at a reputable motorcycle supply store should be able to assist you. It is important to take your time researching and learning all you can about helmets before ultimately choosing one to take home. After all, it’s meant to save your life during an accident.
To speak with an experienced lawyer about the value of helmet wear, contact Lanier Law Group, P.A. today at 855.234.7619!