Truck Accident Statistics
The following information and statistics about large trucks (those whose gross vehicle weight is more than 10,000 pounds) are based on the most recent data from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration:
- There were 380,000 large truck accidents in the United States
- 4,066 of the 380,000 large truck accidents involved fatalities
- 4,229 people died in large truck accidents in 2008
- 90,000 people were injured in large truck accidents in 2008
- In North Carolina alone there were 1,892 fatal truck accidents
- Large trucks are 3.2 times more likely than other vehicles to be rear-ended in a fatal two-vehicle crash
- One of out of nine traffic fatalities in 2008 resulted from an accident involving a large truck
- Large trucks accounted for 8% of all vehicles involved in fatal crashes
- Of those who died in large truck accidents, 74% were occupants in the other vehicle, 10% were non occupants, and 16% were occupants of the truck
- Of those injured in large truck accidents, 71% were occupants of another vehicle, 3% were non occupants, and 26% were occupants of the truck
- 2% of drivers of large trucks involved in fatal crashes had a blood alcohol concentration (BAC) of .08 or higher
- Most fatal truck accidents occur in rural areas, during the day, and on weekdays
- Close to one-fourth of all truck drivers involved in fatal accidents had at least one speeding ticket, compared to 18% for drivers of passenger vehicles
Injured in a Truck Accident in North Carolina?
An experienced North Carolina truck accident attorney at Lanier Law Group, P.A. can help you pursue a claim if you have suffered an injury in a truck accident caused by the reckless or negligent actions of another. At Lanier Law Group, P.A., we are committed to providing each and every client with the dedication and resourceful representation needed to increase their chances of winning their case to recover maximum compensation.
To schedule a free consultation with an attorney at our office, please contact Lanier Law Group, P.A. today at 1- 888-CONSULT! You can also click here to fill out a free injury case evaluation.