Automobile collisions occur every day. Resulting damage may range from a bent fender to a fatality. When you have been involved in a car crash, how do you know if you need legal help?
The overall statistics on car accidents in North Carolina are grim. Consider these statistics from 2015, the latest year for which data is available:
- The number of traffic crashes increased by more than 11 percent in just one year, between 2014 and 2015. A total of 251,638 collisions were reported.
- Correspondingly, the number of people injured in car crashes also jumped by more than 11 percent in the same time period. There were 123,589 people injured in traffic crashes in 2015.
- Fatalities rose by more than eight percent, with 1,380 people killed.
At a minimum, being involved in a car crash is unsettling. Much worse, an automobile collision can result in severe injury or even in death. Whether you need assistance settling a claim or configuring a lifetime of medical and personal assistance after a disabling injury caused by a reckless or negligent driver, an experienced attorney is your legal advocate. Your attorney can help protect you and pursue your right to fair compensation.
When do you need legal help? Consider the following points:
- If you are involved in a fender bender or a more severe car crash that damages your vehicle, you can probably obtain compensation in a claim through your own insurance company and the other motorist’s insurance provider. But if payment is not forthcoming or you are not receiving appropriate assistance from your insurance company, an attorney can help you get negotiations back on track.
- When a traffic crash in Raleigh causes you serious or chronic injury, it is important to speak with an attorney at the outset, before signing any agreement. Long-term physical damage is often not immediately apparent, and settling your case without speaking to a lawyer can leave you without the financial support you will need going forward.
- As with serious injury, seek professional legal advice as soon as possible if a traffic crash takes the life of a loved one. An attorney can pursue a claim for wrongful death on behalf of the deceased, giving you support by handling important legal matters during a terribly stressful time.
When you have suffered a personal injury in a car accident in North Carolina, be sure to speak with an attorney or a law firm that works specifically on injury matters. If you know lawyers who practice in areas other than personal injury, ask for a referral rather than for their own legal advice. It’s important to choose an attorney with a successful history litigating automobile crash cases.
Whether you need assistance with settlement negotiations or legal support when you suffer serious injury, the Lanier Law Group, P.A. offers full-service support and strong legal advocacy. Call us at (855) 757-4204 or contact us today for a free consultation about your case.