Anesthesia Error Lawyers in North Carolina
Assisting Victims of Medical Negligence & Their Loved Ones
While anesthesia is an amazing tool that allows medical professionals to perform myriad procedures without any pain for the patient, it is not without risks. That said, anesthesiologists are highly trained professionals who, when they act according to the standard duty of care, should take all necessary precautions to protect patients from risks and ensure the safe and effective administration of anesthesia.
Unfortunately, anesthesia errors happen with relative frequency. In fact, this is one of the most common examples of medical malpractice in the United States. If you or your loved one was the victim of an anesthesia error, turn to the legal team at Lanier Law Group for compassionate guidance and dedicated advocacy. Our North Carolina anesthesia error lawyers are well-versed in all aspects of medical malpractice; we can thoroughly investigate your case and determine how you should proceed.
Common Anesthesia Errors
As previously mentioned, anesthesia does come with some risks. A patient may experience certain side effects or he or she may not know that he or she is prone to anesthesia complications. This is extremely rare, however, and is unpredictable.
Anesthesia mistakes differ from general risks in that they occur when an anesthesiologist or another medical professional fails to uphold the standard duty of care. In other words, if an anesthesiologist does not provide the same level of care that you could reasonably expect another trained medical professional to provide, you may have grounds for a medical malpractice claim.
Some common examples of anesthesia errors include:
- Administration of too much or too little anesthesia
- Delayed anesthesia administration
- Administration of the wrong type of anesthesia
- Failure to identify adverse anesthesia reactions
- Failure to identify anesthesia-drug interactions and potential adverse effects
- Failure to monitor a patient under anesthesia
- Defective medical equipment used during anesthesia administration
- Failure to advise patient of possible side effects, risks, complications, etc.
Sadly, the consequences of an anesthesia error can be severe and even life-threatening. A victim may suffer oxygen deprivation, brain damage, a heart attack, severe pain, and more. At Lanier Law Group, we are committed to fighting for individuals who have suffered immensely as a result of an anesthesia mistake.
How Do Anesthesia Mistakes Happen?
There are many factors that may contribute to an anesthesia error. Generally speaking, these all have one thing in common: negligence.
An anesthesia error may occur due to:
- A poorly trained or unqualified anesthesiologist
- Anesthesiologist inattention, leading to over- or under-dosage
- A doctor failing to notice a patient’s chart indicating he/she is allergic to anesthesia
- An anesthesiologist administering anesthesia to the wrong patient
- Various documentation errors
- Failure to properly control the flow rate of an IV
Note that this list represents only a small portion of the many factors that can contribute to a harmful or even deadly anesthesia error. If you believe you or your loved one fell victim to the negligence of an anesthesiologist, doctor, or another medical professional, let us fight for you.
Contact Lanier Law Group Today
When pursuing compensation in a medical malpractice claim, you need a heavyweight in your corner. Lanier Law Group has been representing injured clients and their families since 1997; we understand how to navigate the intricacies of these types of claims, gather and analyze medical records and other evidence, and build a strong case on your behalf. Most of all, we do not back down from tough challenges. When you work with our firm, you can rest assured that you have a dedicated team behind you every step of the way.