There are a number of mistakes that a driver may make after a car accident. Without a North Carolina car accident attorney to advise a driver of his rights, he or she may unintentionally do something that harms their chances of a successful case result. We have prepared the following list of the top ten mistakes drivers make following a car accident so you can avoid these:
1. Failing to go to the doctor, hospital, or urgent care clinic immediately following the accident. It is not enough to claim that you have been injured. You must have some sort of medical record that proves you were not only injured, but also that your injuries were caused by the accident.
2. Allowing the at-fault driver's insurance adjuster to visit you in person.
3. Signing a release shortly after the accident or before completing medical treatment. In doing so, you may limit or lose your right to file a claim in the future.
4. Giving a recorded interview to a liability adjuster. There is a good chance the adjuster will be able to take something you said and use it against you.
5. Failing to use your health insurance. Because the auto insurance company usually does not pay for medical coverage until you have reached maximum medical improvement, using your health insurance can help offset the costs associated with treating your injuries until you receive a lump sum payment from the auto insurance company.
6. Missing out on medical payment coverage.
7. Failing to take advantage of free professional advice. At Lanier Law Group, P.A., we offer a free consultation to all potential clients who have been injured in an auto accident in North Carolina. The insurance companies have an army of seasoned attorneys and adjusters working for them. By contacting an attorney at our firm, you can make sure you have a skilled legal professional looking out for your best interest and protecting any rights you may have to compensation.
8. Failing to continue to seek medical treatment due to inconvenience or expense. In many cases, doctors require accident victims to complete physical therapy before they will conduct an advanced diagnostic test. Therefore, it may take weeks, sometimes months, before the doctor orders an MRI or CT scan. These tests may reveal additional or more serious injuries that the victim was unaware of. However, many people stop going to physical therapy because they cannot afford to miss work or because they do not have health coverage. If this is something you are concerned with, please don't hesitate to contact an attorney. We can help you with this.
9. Missing compensation for punitive damages. In addition to compensatory damages, you may also be able to recover punitive damages if the at-fault driver was charged with DWI or reckless/careless driving. Punitive damages can be thousands of dollars more than what you will receive in compensatory damages. This is something the insurance company will never tell you about.
10. Settling with the liability carrier for policy limits and waiving rights to underinsured motorist coverage and excess liability coverage. Adjusters usually require a Release of All Claims when paying any claims. If you suffered a serious injury and the liability adjuster is paying all available coverage (usually $30,000 if minimum limits), and you have a claim against an Excess Liability Carrier (if the owner and driver of the at-fault driver are different) or Underinsured Motorist Coverage, DO NOT SIGN A RELEASE OF ALL CLAIMS. If you sign a general release, you will release all future claims under other policies.
It is not uncommon for people who have never been involved or injured in a car accident to make mistakes. For additional advice and guidance, please contact a North Carolina car accident lawyer today to schedule a free consultation.
“She was very professional, kept me completely involved and updated with everything. Awesome job done.”
“Maria stayed on top of everything with updates, etc.”
“Very good communication throughout my case. Brenda paid great attention to my case and kept me up to date.”
“Both attorneys involved were very informative and walked me through my case every setp of the way. They answered any questions and concerns I had whenever they cam up. I was very nervous and skeptical at the beginning but that quickly changed.”
Please fill out form below and one of our attorneys will contact you.
Use the map below to find the location closest to you